At the height of summer, lavender adds shimmering blues to the landscapes and scents the air. Lavender marks the seasons as it does the lives of the people
who work in “blue country”. I learn about lavender, plant of countless benefits, as I visit gardens, museums and distilleries...
Itinerary: Cavaillon, Coustellet, plateau des Claparèdes, Apt, Lagarde d’Apt, Sault.
- 90 kilometres
To see or visit on your way:
- The Lavender Museum
- the farmers' market every Sunday morning
On the Plateau des Claparèdes (between Bonnieux and Saignon, D232)
- the lavender fields
- the stone huts (bories)
- the honey producer Mas des Abeilles
In Apt :
- the Agnels Distillery (lavender farm and distillery - guided tours and distillation all year round, shop with a large range of natural products made from various essential oils)
- the Coulets distillery (traditional distillery, distillation in July and August)
Via St Christol, the road winds its way among the lavender fields up to the village of Sault, capital of fine lavender):
- the Aroma Plantes distillery,an organic farm producing fine lavender, einkorn spelt and various aromatic herbs (guided tours, "Aromatic Bar", discovery paths, "lavandoscope" to learn all about lavender, themed workshops (making of soaps, etc), lavender outings, shop with a wide range of products made on site, natural cosmetics, essential oils).
- the Vallon des Lavandes distillery, a traditional family-owned distillery (guided tours, shop)
- the Ferme aux Lavandes, to see Cathy Liardet's large lavender collection
- the Maison des Producteurs, a cooperative shop right in the centre of Sault, selling its members' produce (lavender, honey, aromatic herbs...)
- Ho! Bouquet de Lavande - guided tours of this lavender farm, specialised in the confection of dried lavender bouquets
- the Chemin des Lavandes (lavender trail): a 4-km walking, cycling or driving loop amongst the lavender fields, with informative signs
- André Boyer's nougat shop (guided tours, see the making, tasting)
- the Fête de la Lavande in Sault on 15 August