They are the two new kids on the block in Avignon, although rather large! These double-decker buses, part of the Cars Lieutaud scheme, perfectly complement the tours offered by the Petit Train . With the little tourist train , you can explore the medieval centre, whilst from the open-top deck of the bus, you can admire the ramparts, pay a visit to Villeneuve-les-Avignon, Avignon’s beautiful cousin on the opposing bank, and enjoy stunning views of the town from the other side of the Rhône river.
These two open-topped buses provide an undeniable advantage – a view from above! They are part of the tireless Lieutaud enterprise, which also owns of a large fleet of luxurious coaches and little tourist trains that zig-zag across the town centre during the holiday season. And as one never tires of admiring the impressive Palais des Papes, the Pont d’Avignon which stops in the middle of the Rhône river, and the complete circle of ramparts dating from the 15th century, it is very tempting! But the buses do not stop there, they cross the river in order to drive everyone up to the charming and historic Villeneuve-les-Avignon, and make a final stop at Ile de la Barthelasse. Located in the middle of the river, it provides the best view over the town of Avignon. Of course, you are free to combine the bus tour with the visit by train to the medieval centre, since one complements the other.
- The tour lasts for a minimum of 45 minutes, with 6 Stop & Go stops en route, where you can get on and off the bus throughout the day (ticket validity: 24 hours).
- From March 15th to early November 2017 – similar dates for the 2018 season.
- Audioguide comments in 10 languages: French, English, Italian, Spanish, German, Dutch, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Chinese Capacity: 2 buses, each with a capacity of 51 people at the top, and 21 below.
- Adult rate: €16 – Child rate (4-12 years): €10 – Free for children under 4 years.
- Combined bus ticket with the Petit Train of Avignon: €20/adult, €12 for children aged 4-12 years old.
Tour operators receive commission for ticket sales.
Private hire of a bus: €650 for 1 hour
The “Avignon by Night” trip, lasting 2 hours, from 19:30 – 21:30, with an aperitif on the roof of the coach: €28 per person, with 45 paying customers.
La Boutique Visite Avignon (by Lieutaud), 40 Cours Jean Jaurès, à Avignon
T.+33 (0)4 90 85 47 13 – www.visiteavignon.com
Contact: Julie Lieutaud – firstname.lastname@example.org
All photos © Christophe Grilhé