This wine-producing estate, not far from Lourmarin, boasts many assets: a magical location, in the foothills of the Luberon mountain range, an elegant château, flanked by a courtyard with large gate, spectacular wine storerooms and a wide range of wine-tourism activities: a vineyard trail, several wine tours-tasting and master class packages, a picnic aperitif, as well as numerous celebrations and concerts held throughout the year. There are a whole host of reasons to stop off here.
The omens always seem to be good for some estates: this estate is located in Puget-sur-Durance, on the exact same site where prehistoric wine cellars, carved out of rock, and dating back more than 4,000 years, were uncovered. Before returning to wine-production, la Verrerie, as its name suggests, was a glass factory! However, it was not so much these harbingers of good fortune but rather the magnificent landscapes in this part of the Luberon massif that attracted the entrepreneur, Jean-Louis Descours – known for the shoe brand André – in 1981, propelling him to set up the estate. Thirty years and 2 generations later, Château la Verrerie produces a wide range of organic wines and olive oils. Wine-tourism is a priority and the estate team is always coming up with new ideas to make visits even more interesting.
Already on offer to individuals:
- The wine cellar is open to the public from Monday to Sunday and offers free tasting sessions for individuals (contact us for information about fixed tour dates for assembled groups of Free Independent Travellers)
- A marked vineyard trail that cuts across a landscape full of vineyards and olive groves. During the course of the walk, thanks to the bilingual (F/EN) signs, you’ll learn key facts about vines and different grape varieties as well as enjoying an unobstructed view of the Durance Valley. Duration of walk: approximately 1.5 hours.
- A picnic style aperitif: individuals and groups can buy the necessary ingredients for their aperitif from the shop and then settle down under the parasols in the courtyard to enjoy a pre-dinner drink and sample the Provençal lifestyle. €20/pers.
- Discovery tour: once a week in season, at fixed time/date, guided tour of ageing cellars and tasting session (5 wines). Duration: 1 hour. Free of charge. FR/EN. Booking necessary (on website or by phone).
- Knowledge Tour: visit wine-making cellars + ageing cellars + tasting session. Duration: 1 hour/1.5 hours. Set dates and times available on website, booking necessary. FR/EN.
For groups, there are several visits/tasting packages available:
- Discovery tour: tour of the ageing cellars and tasting for 5wines, for groups from 4 people. Sliding scale price offer depending on size of group and number of wines tasted (3 or 5 wines). From €5 to €6.50/pers. Excluding tax.
- Knowledge Tour: visit wine-making cellars + ageing cellars + tasting session. Duration: 1 hour/1.5 hours From €10.50 to €12.50/pers. Excluding tax (depending on size of group and number of wines tasted)
- History Tour: guided walk through the vineyards, along the vineyard trail, visit to wine-making cellars + ageing cellars + tasting session. Duration: 2 hours. From €20 to €25/pers. Excluding tax.
- Master Class: the Art of Wine-tasting: tour of cellars, followed by master class where you’ll learn about the principles of wine-tasting (5 wines). Duration: 2.5 hours: From 10 to 50 people. From €34 to €37.50/pers. Excluding tax.
- Master class: the secrets of Food and Wine pairings: head to the maturing cellar where you’ll learn about the principles that guide wine and food pairing. You’ll get the chance to put these principles into practice by matching some of the different wines produced on the estate with local products sold in the Château shop. From 10 to 50 people. From €34 to €37.50/pers. Excluding tax.
And events for groups and individuals:
- Summer: “Flâneries au Crépuscule”: Held 4 Wednesdays over the summer (19 + 26 July, 2 +9 August 2017); includes welcome drink, guided walk along vineyard trail, a night of music, food truck on site (everyone buys own food) and estate wines served with dinner. €15/pers.
- In spring: jazz concerts (26 May: gypsy jazz, 9 June: Provençal concert)
Visit website for details about event dates.
Château la Verrerie,
1810 route du Luberon – 84360 Puget-sur-Durance
T. +33 (40) 90 08 97 97 –
Contact: Alfredo or Jasmine
All photos © Michel Labelle